Stop the Slaughter of Dugongs – Write a Letter
Australians, in general, are fed up with our political parties, our political leaders, the scientific community and the media.
The apathy with which the ongoing destruction of Australia’s environmental heritage is greeted by those in power is tragic, stupid, arrogant and irresponsible.
Unless the politicians are deluged with protest, nothing will change. Money dictates politics and who cares about the future as long as these people can keep their parliamentary seats warm and the big money flowing.
It’s time for us all to TAKE ACTION and MAKE IT COUNT!.
How to make it count
Letter writing is by far the most effective means of being heard by influential stake holders especially if letters are delivered in large quantities.
Letters written in your own words and sent to the key decision makers by “snail mail” get noticed.
It takes about 20 minutes of your time to complete this action and here are some guidelines to make it count.
- Include your name and address
- Include the date
- Keep it brief and to the point
- Write it in your own words
- Sign your letter
- Make your request clear
- Ask for a response
- Write respectfully
- Use the correct Salutation.
What to say?
- In your own words, briefly make the following points:
- I am deeply disturbed by the legally permitted indigenous slaughter of endangered species.
- I believe that the killing of endangered species should not be permitted by any individual, group or commercial enterprise.
- I strongly urge you to do everything within your power to suspend indigenous hunting rights of endangered species.
- Further, I strongly urge you to do everything within your power to ensure that the necessary recourses are available to police the a ban on the slaughter of endangered species.
- Please respond to this letter by telling me how you are able influence a total ban on the killing of endangered species in Australia.
Be sure to sign and date your letter and use the correct salutation.
Who to send it to?
On the issue of indigenous slaughter of endangered species, we recommend sending your letters to:
The Hon Julia Gillard MP
CANBERRA ACT 2600
SALUTATION: Dear Prime Minister
Leader of the Opposition
Canberra ACT 2600
SALUTATION: Dear Mr. Abbott
The Honorable Tony Burke MP
Minister for Sustainability, Environment, Water, Population and Communities
PO Box 6022
House of Representatives, Parliament House
Canberra ACT 2600
SALUTATION: Dear Minister
Shadow Environment Minister
PO Box 274
Hastings Vic 3915
SALUTATION: Dear Shadow Minister
The Premier of Queensland
PO Box 15185
SALUTATION: Dear Premier